22 / 09 / 2020
A much different Finals Day this year, necessary because of the restrictions imposed by the coronavirus pandemic. There were only four club competitions this year, the results of which, as follows:
Two-wood Singles: Winner, Paul Horsted; Runner-up, Kevin Luxford
Seven-up Singles: Winner, Paul Horsted; Runner-up, Kevin Luxford
Championship Pairs: Winners, Paul Horsted & Shaun Mulligan; Runners-up, Ben Fairhall & Darren Anderson
Championship Singles: Winner, Ben Fairhall; Runner-up, Paul Horsted.
Congratulations to all, and thanks to all participants, organisers and supporters.
Lets hope that next year will be back to normal.
07 / 08 / 2020
We have a new caterer in situ, Penny, who’s open for business Fridays to Sundays (eat out only at present, owing to covid-19 restrictions).
Members can receive a 10% discount on purchases on proof of membership.
07 / 08 / 2020
The following are the results of the club competitions.
1-2-3 Pairs: K Fairhall & T Ryan Beat M Beirne & D Hubbard
Handicap Singles: T Buckle Beat D Peacock
Handicap Pairs: P Gibbens & D Lee Beat M Beirne & V Cluness
Championship Pairs: P Horsted & P Gandey Beat E Rice & N Daly
Mixed Pairs: M Beirne & D Anderson Beat S Daly & K Luxford
7up Singles: P Horsted Beat N Daly
Australian Pairs: T Steele & T Ryan Beat V Cluness & K Fairhall
Wish Win: P Gibbens Beat B Buckle
Vets Singles: D Lee Beat D Wigdor
1-2-3 Singles: N Daly Beat M Beirne
2 Wood Singles: K Fairhall Beat P Horsted
Championship Singles: D Hubbard Beat D Peacock
Congratulations to all winners, and thanks to all participants, both in the bowling and organisation.
07 / 08 / 2020
We’re pleased to be able to reopen, albeit with restrictions in place because of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
We ask that all patrons observe the precautions we have in place regarding queuing, following the one-way system, and signing in and out. Please maintain social distancing!
We also have new catering arrangements in place, currently operating Fridays to Sundays, so please pop along and say hi to Penny, and see what’s on offer! Note that we can’t currently offer a ‘dine-in’ option owing to the restrictions in force.
On Sundays we have live bands playing at the front of the clubhouse – these are popular, and offer various musical styles, so there may be something that takes your fancy – the only way to find out is to come and listen!
Bowling has, unfortunatley, been very hit very hard this season. There is a much-curtailed club competition schedule, no friendly or league action and county and national competitions have all been cancelled. The greens are open for roll-ups, so we welcome you for those. Members have the option of buying a season ticket (proceeds to the club) – please ask for details.
New members are welcome; as the club offering is someone disjointed this year, any new member will also be a member for next year, so for £48, your membership lasts until 30th March 2022. Drinks work out a lot cheaper for members over visitor’ prices. Please ask for details.
I think that covers it – welcome back, and we hope to see you soon.
23 / 02 / 2020
Experience Qualities and Skills Required
We’re looking for a proactive and flexible manager who is able to effectively run this well-loved community asset and help build up the membership and community use of the bowls club and the clubhouse whilst working with the committee and existing members to deliver a range of social events and a cost effective bar and café offering.
- Minimum of two years’ experience of managing a members or social club, sports club or bar.
- Experience of customer attraction and customer service
- Recent experience of running a licenced premises
- Experience in the management of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A proactive and creative approach to problem solving
- Health and Safety qualifications
- Strong organisational and administrations skills with relevant IT use
- A basic or better understanding of profit and loss financials and payroll information.
This is a part time role of 15 to 20 hour per week – hours will be discussed.
Pro Rata Salary of £20-25k.
Further bonus incentive of 10% of net profit (if over £15k).
Bowls Club manager tasks and responsibilities
Bar and Café Management:
- Driving revenue by promoting the club and organising events and activities and promoting the use of the clubhouse by other groups and liaison with social committee to put on social events.
- Overseeing hiring of clubhouse for functions, dealing with email/phone bookings, managing diary and staff cover.
- Conducting stock taking, stock ordering and receiving delivery.
- Weekly cash banking and change procurement.
- Ensuring cost-effective bar and café staffing. Including hiring and firing, performance reviews and providing payroll information.
- Facilities management: including overseeing alarms and key holders, managing licencing and leases, overseeing cleaning, managing gaming machines, organising issues such as vermin control and repairs and maintenance.
- Coordination of bar and café with club matches and events requiring catering.
Membership and Bowls Management:
- Maintaining members database
- Collecting members fees and sending out annual joining information
- Processing new members applications and providing joining information
- Overseeing visitor bowls hire and green fee collection
- Opening and sorting mail and managing emails into the club
Communications (working with marketing committee members)
- Emailing re: events and news
- Updating website content and diary when required
- Organising posters / banners to promote matches, events and services
- Social media posting when required
15 / 06 / 2019
1. There is no Hove Open Bowls Tournament this year (but, all being well, it will return next year) so we, Hove & Kingsway Bowling Club are running a triples tournament at the times that the HOBT triples would normally take place. We hope that many of the regular participants of the the tournament triples will enter.
2. Of late, our Charity Sunday has taken place on the Sunday preceding the open; last year however, we discovered to our cost that this also coincided with Sussex County competition finals, which took away many of the bowlers who may otherwise have entered our Charity Fours; this year, to avoid such a clash we’ve switched Charity Sunday to the end of Open Week, thus, County Finalists can still enter our Charity fours.
Open Triples: Evenings of 24th to 26th July, with semi-finals and final held in the morning and afternoon of Saturday 27th July. Download Open Triples Entry Form
Charity Sunday: July 28th. Download Charity Sunday Entry Form
29 / 04 / 2019
Every Monday in May, come along to our open roll-ups, from 6-8pm.
With the emphasis on enjoyment, fun for the novice and experienced bowler alike.
If you’ve never bowled before, there will be experienced bowlers to help you get started and support you as the evening progresses.
29 / 04 / 2019
Swhype | +44 (0)20 7193 8077 | firstname.lastname@example.org LONDON VIDEO AGENCY LAUNCHES BRIGHTON STUDIO BY SUPPORTING LOCAL LAWN BOWLS CLUB; Roll-up Roll-up! Hove club is bowled over by video agency support A video marketing agency who produces work for high street brands like The White Company and John Lewis are supporting a local bowls club with the aim of attracting new active members to the club and game in general.
London-based company Swhype [for Video] is sponsoring the Hove & Kingsway Bowling Club over the next three years with both financial and creative support. In April 2019, the 6 year-old company which creates social video content and animation for businesses, brands and charities, is launching their new regional office for Brighton & Hove by supporting the established local lawn bowls club with a 3 year sponsorship. With their experience and knowledge of social media, design and marketing, mixed with a passion for people and the community, Swhype are hoping to provide the club with the help it needs to keep it going from strength to strength, extending the reach to potential new members of all ages and helping to make the club even more sustainable – beginning with the club’s first Open Day on Sunday April 28th. There are also plans for a regular film & music event at the club, celebrating and connecting local animators and filmmakers in a unique environment. Director of Swhype, Andy Greenhouse, explains why he wanted to get involved; “There’s a need for places like the bowls club – for people suffering from isolation it can provide an essential community hub and focus, but it’s also a great way to make new friends whilst staying active and healthy. If these places are neglected, they disappear and everyone loses. We’re opening an office in Hove and heard that the club were looking for some help with sponsorship – it seemed like the perfect way to help the bowls club with funds and much needed marketing for new membership. Our support has so far provided the club with this years team shirts and we’ll be using our video and design skills to encourage people to try the game and support the club.” Hove & Kingsway Bowling Club President Dave Lee said of the partnership; “Swhype’s generous support of the club has enabled us to not only purchase some much needed equipment but has also helped us promote the club to new members. The club wants to be sustainable by attracting active new members each year as well as bringing people to events at the clubhouse to ensure this vital community asset is well used. Swhype’s support is invaluable in doing this and is very much appreciated.” Hove and Kingsway Bowls Club sits in an idyllic location right on the beach and boasts a friendly clubhouse complete with bar and café, for the social side. The club has plans to invite other local communities to make use of their great facilities. The club is also looking to include more fun activities for families and encourage younger players to take part.
10 / 04 / 2019
Our new caterers, Christos and Nikos, are getting ready for the 2019 season, with some dates for your diary…
Sunday 14th April (Marathon Day) Join us for a barbecue on the lawn amongst the regular Marathon Day activities.
Easter Sunday (21st April) Open for breakfast and lunch; booking is advised!
Monday 29th April, the official opening – open for the duration of the season for breakfasts, lunches and more. Come and say hello and enjoy some top quality food!
There’s also the President’s supper to look forward to on the evening of May 7th, following a pre-season roll-up – traditional sausage and mash, optional dessert too. (Book via Paul at the bar and advise of any special dietary requirements).
21 / 02 / 2019
Another of our popular skittles nights coming up on Friday 22nd March. As it was so popular last time, its accompanied by a superb curry, and all for only £7.00!
The skittles will kick off around 7.00 pm, so be early to register for the draw.
You can express interest via our Facebook page.